Friday, August 27, 2010

In response to your...

...comments (in no particular order):

1. A few of you have suggested worsted weight, you will be delighted to know that I plan on bringing it to my line up of yarns! It will be a 100% superwash merino wool. I can't wait for it actually, because I have plans to make myself a vest with it; I'm so excited!

2. Lace weight...until a few months ago lace weight was totally out of the question because I didn't have an electric skein winder, imagine winding 800 + yards with a niddy noddy! I didn't like doing 400 yards, no way was I going to do lace. My awesome husband made me an electric skein winder so I've been thinking about it. I don't knit lace myself, I've done research on the subject of lace yarn and what you all like, there will be more on that later.

3. Color Change/Runs, Knitted Samples...I would love to be able to provide a knitted sample for many of my variegated yarns, but unfortunately I can't. I've been thinking about this over the last few days: would 1 sample be enough for each length of color? One sample for 4 inch repeats, one for 2 inch, etc? In the round? In a square? And then I would have to do it for yarns with 4 colors, 8 colors, etc etc. It could be done...

I added this feature to the respective listings, stating how long each color change/run is. You'll notice it below the colorway/lot#. I hope this helps in your decision to purchase and type of project you could knit.  I'm not a big fan of pooling in my knitting so I try to avoid it when I dye yarn, with that said, it cannot always be guaranteed; it does depend on the pattern and your style of knitting. I try to keep color runs under 4 inches, most being 1-3 inches, unless I'm trying to achieve a certain effect.

I have a separate page with finished projects called: All Knitted Up in the right hand column here on my blog. There are also a few listings in my shop with photos of socks.

4. Driggs said "You tend to put fancier colorways on the fancier yarn bases. Sometimes I want a fancy variegated, but don't need the fancy fibers." I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I want to change this if I can. Can you tell me more about this, I'm apparently not aware I'm doing this?  Can you give me some examples of what you would like to see on less fancy bases, also define "fancy".  I want to have a variety of styles on each base to please everyone. Thank you, this was insightful to me!!

5. Gallery of yarn colorways: I do have many colorways photographed in each of my yarn pages in the right hand column, a gallery if you will. Also, you can browse through my sold items to see older colorways.  If you see something you like either here on my blog or in my shop, but it's not quite right for you, perhaps you want it in yarn, not fiber, like the colorway Oceania that is in fiber listed in the shop, I have done it on yarn a few times, it sells out fast. So, just send me a message via Etsy and let me know what you want; I'll be happy to accommodate. There is also the Alchemy feature on Etsy that you can use to request a custom item from a seller.

6. More superwash merino/nylon blend is coming; my supplier has had it on back order for 6 months almost!  I can't wait to get it back! It's called Nogi: 90% Superwash Merino, 10% Nylon. Also, I'm carrying in the mean time a 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon called Lublu Sock. Nogi is my preferred merino/nylon blend coming in just under 500 yards and super soft and springy.

7. As far as having a clearer explanation of what each listing is, I state what the fiber content is, weight and yardage. I'm not sure what more I could say really. Be sure to have your pages set to list not gallery, they are the 2 little white squares on the top right, just above the listings and below the featured items.

8. Each new listing is going to have a photo of the yarn before it is re-skeined so that you can see what it really looks like so that you can plan your projects a little better. There are some already listed in the shop this way for you to check out. I normally dye yarn in the round, I will state in the listings how it was dyed, also.



Thank you all very much for participating in the critique of my Etsy shop! I appreciate it very much. Follow up comments are welcome, good or bad, but nothing is really bad, just helpful for me.
~ Angela

1 comment:

  1. Not on the spot... I don't speak very clearly sometimes. :) What I mean is, it seems like you usually dye your more basic bases (lublu, the 100% merino one, say) in semi solid or very slightly variegated colors, usually kettle dyed. Whereas when you do more strongly variegated colorways, it is usually on one of your bases with silk or alpaca or cashmere in it. Does that make more sense? It is possible that my perception is skewed and that's not really the case, but it's how it looks to me. Personally I usually dig the kettle dyed/semi-solid look more, so I'm usually looking for the semi-solid on fancier bases, but sometimes I want plain jane iron wear socks in colors with kaboom, kwim? If I'm still being confusing please feel free to message me on ravelry, where I am marusempai. I'm happy to help. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; I hope you enjoyed your visit. I welcome your comments and enjoy hearing from you!